Cast Away Dreams

"...There's been a change in plans."

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Civility


I'm reading a new book. It's called "Choosing Civility" by P.M. Forni. I can't remember how I came across it but I remember distinctly God "telling" me to read it. So I fired up the old Amazon money-pit machine and had it sent out. Along with another book I didn't really need that much, in order to avoid paying shipping. (I wonder if the Amazon folks know that sometimes visitors to their website make decisions like that?)

I've read far enough to know that there are 25 rules for considerate conduct. There may be more or fewer actually but I know that in the book business, numbers that "resonate" sell. Hence the 7 steps, the 5 principles, the 9 laws etc. etc. etc. If there were really 23 rules, Forni would have to have made up a couple or repeated two with new names and slightly different descriptions since 23 isn't a resonating number like 25 is.
I've only read one of them so far. I decided to read one a day and try and internalize then apply it during the day before cluttering my mind up with the next one. It's a short book and I'll never remember the rules if I pour them into my 52-year old brain in a day or two.

Those of you who know me will want to take notes during the coming month. Changes will undoubtedly be evident since I'm not sure civility is one of the list of character traits people immediately think of when my name comes up. That's why God nudged me when the book got pitched.

No comments: