
This morning my mother-in-law, Ardith Petersen passed away. She had spent the last few months in a nursing home after losing much of the use of her legs and hands during a hospital stay. She had been close to death several times in recent years but had rallied and enjoyed additional time with her family. In the past few years since the last time most of us had thought she was at the end of her trail three grandchildren had been married, she had become a great grandmother, another grandchild had been baptized and I believe there was a priesthood ordination or two in the mix as well. She would have missed a lot of "living" in the Petersen Family had she not been as tough as she was.
She lost her husband to an automobile accident at the age of 32. She raised five children on her own, never having remarried, and each of them has become men and women of notable integrity and doubtless a source of great pride.
I've never known another person who has endured more trials with as little complaint as she has. She's suffered from several serious, chronic diseases, any one of which might have ended her life much earlier than it did. I've seen her recover from serious accidents and "big" surgeries and fight her way back to relative health with each one of them. In short, she was one tough lady who lived an exemplary life in the face of almost unbelievable trials.
This morning she woke up, pain-free and with a fresh and perfect hope of a bright and enduring future for the first time in decades. And I'm sure she did it surrounded by loved ones long-lost.
You could live an easier life than my mother-in-law enjoyed--and I mean she enjoyed it--but I can't imagine anyone living a better one.
She will rest in peace and has left a legacy anyone would be proud of.
Way to go Ardith.
1 comment:
Thank you! I love you.
Post a Comment