Cast Away Dreams

"...There's been a change in plans."

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gift of Screws



Jodi and I went to the Lindsey Buckingham concert last night. I would never have believed that it could have topped last year's concert but I stand corrected. Most anyone who knows me will feel compelled to check with Jodi on this; but I spent over two hours jumping up and down with my fist or fists in the air screaming "yes" at the top of my lungs. Funny how just the right musician who is really hitting on all eight can make you toss your inhibitions out the window and take 30 years off your age. I had a great time in other words.
It was surprising to see as many young people as I did. Last year Jodi was kind of an anomaly, but this time she had a fair amount of younger company. We old silver-tips were still a large majority however.
Standing six or eight feet away from the stage at a concert is the way to see a concert. It would not be nearly as fun sitting in an easy chair a respectable distance from the performers. The energy flowed out into the audience with the waves of sound and yes they were waves. You could hear the music through your chest as well as through your ears.
Well, enough gushing. I need to return to my old sedate self and totter off to bed.
When this guy comes to town, you should really experience him. Unless edgy, incisive music thundering out with enough power to move the foundations of the hall just really isn't your cup of tea. If I couldn't let go and be carried away by this guy for a couple of hours a year...I think somehow I'd be sorry.
BTW: The blog title is the title of Lindsey's new CD, which comes from an Emily Dickinson poem; Essential Oils--are wrung.
You can follow the link to find out why the lyrics to Buckingham's songs are mostly inscrutable.

No comments: